Monday 7 May 2012

American Reunion: The best piece of pie?

American Pie: Reunion


So I went back in time last night- about 13 years to be precise and it was utterly glorious. Glorious, gross out hilarity, which I haven't really experienced in the last few years with teenage comedies.

Although to be fair it wasn't really a teenage comedy, because the only people in the cinema with me were mid-late twenty-something’s who loved American Pie the first time around and have grown up with its sequels.

The kids of today probably don't have a clue about the start of this hilarious franchise, which has spawned a whole genre, but me and the teenagers of yesteryear know exactly how an apple pie and some experimentation became one of cinema's best loved comedy moments.

So 13 years on how would our beloved characters have fared? Well Jim and Michelle are married with a toddler and no sex life to speak of, Kevin has turned into a housewife, Oz is a minor celebrity with a crazy girlfriend and Finch, is well, Finch.

Stifler remains the same loveable ass, who manages to gain some empathy from us, as all around him changes while he remains stuck in the past.

The storyline plays it safe and while there are some quiet moments where the pace drags, generally it was a hoot for me from start to finish. The opening scene with Jim and Michelle in particular sets the tone for the movie, alongside Stifler's moment of vulgarity, which we have come to expect with every American Pie outing.

For me the stand out support from Jim's Dad is the best part of film- you thought he was at his peak in American Pie 1, my god he hits his stride here.

From dolling out more hilarious advice to his problem riddled son, to getting wasted with Stifler and trading stories about beavers and vag. Yes it really is what you think it is...!

His moments with stifler's mom had the audience howling the most- particularly the end popcorn scene, which I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but truly hilarious. The trade off of stories about their children too was brilliant- 'I caught Jim humping a pie' and 'I walked in on Steven with a hairbrush up his ass' were just two of the gems I can recall.

While the film has had a mixed set of reviews, I find myself actually wanting to see another film made, but god knows how they would top this. Maybe give it another 13 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment